chocolate chip cookies

For a good number of years, cookies were something I loved to eat fresh from the bakery, but never thought I'd be able to achieve the same consistency if I tried baking them at home. I had good reason for thinking they wouldn't work, as I had attempted baking cookies on a number of occasions that had failed quite spectacularly.

Then, one day, a friend told me her mum had passed on a recipe which was meant to be great. I asked if she'd mind sharing it and that was how I ended up with this recipe in my hands. It was also the first time I baked with condensed milk. Since that day, condensed milk has made its way into my mixing bowl on countless occasions. It is a simply brilliant ingredient for baking with, especially cookies. An added bonus (though perhaps only psychologically) is that the addition of condensed milk means you don't add any sugar to these cookies. So really, they are quite healthy. 

(Disclaimer: if you bake & eat a batch of these cookies and consequently your jeans feel snug, I cannot take any responsibility for the weight game that may or may not be attributed to vast cookie consumption.)

These cookies are dangerous. They are like Pringles - once you pop you just can't stop. (I have eaten two so far while writing this post - one per paragraph - and I could quite happily continue along that road.)


Chocolate Chip Cookies yields approx. 21 medium sized cookies
225g / 8oz dark chocolate
50g / 2oz unsalted butter
225g / 8oz self raising flour
70g / 3oz white chocolate chips or chunks
400g can condensed milk


1. Melt the chocolate
2. Stir in the butter to melted chocolate until butter melts
3. Stir in condensed milk and leave to cool for 10 - 15 mins. (If you skip the cooling stage, the white choc chips will melt from the heat of the chocolate.)
4. Stir in flour (no need to sieve)
5. Stir in white chocolate chips or chunks
6. Chill for 20 - 30 mins
7. Preheat oven t0 180C / gas mark 4
8. Grease 3 large baking sheets
9. Remove cookie dough from fridge and scoop heaped teaspoons-full onto trays. Leave plenty of space in between to allow for spreading
10. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes
11. Remove from oven and leave for 2 mins to harden slightly before removing from trays


These cookies are chocolatey, dough-y with the lightest crust, and ever so more-ish. Like I said before, don't blame me for any weight gain after baking these. They are so easy to bake,  and I'm pretty sure you could freeze the dough so you can always have a supply on hand. One day when we have a freezer that is bigger than your average microwave, I will most definitely be keeping a supply of cookie dough in there for any and every occasion. Yum.

Comments