Five Minute Friday / Welcome

Five Minute Friday: 'Where a beautiful crowd spends five minutes all writing on the same topic and then sharing them over here (Lisa-Jo's blog.) Where we just write without worrying if it’s just right or not.'


{GO.}
As I sit here with the company of my sewing machine beside me, I think about my trip this afternoon to my local fabric shop. A smile of familiarity from the owner greets me, welcoming me into her shop. She extends her welcome further, offering me a chocolate from the fresh box of Celebrations that sits on her desk and I wonder if all shoppers receive this welcome, or just those with familiar faces. Although it's just a fabric shop, I feel at ease here, welcomed in and given the freedom to browse, knowing that there is no pressure to buy. And this is the feeling that I see as synonymous with welcome - ease. I wonder in contemplation at how much I value that feeling. When I go somewhere new - I value a friendly face, welcoming me. My desire for the children I teach and their parents who entrust me with their offspring's first encounters with education, is that my classroom would feel like a welcoming place - not simply through the physical environment, but through a consistent warmth in the welcome I have the privilege of extending daily. Welcome says, 'I value you being here, come stay awhile and be yourself.'
{STOP.}

Comments

  1. Yes, welcome does say all those wonderful things. Stopping by from Lisa-Jo's 5 Minute Friday. Loved your thoughts. Thank you for sharing them.....and your response should be...."you're welcome!" It took me four tries to leave your comment due to the verification thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, thank you for your comment - I am sorry that you had trouble leaving the comment. The only comment verification I have is the word verification that blogger provides - I know I've found these tricky to decipher on other blogs - sorry it was a hindrance to you today. I have turned it off for the time being, should it be a problem that other people have had too.

      Delete

Post a Comment