Peanut Cookie Fudge Puddles


It seems that with the fresh start of a new year, many people around the internet world are doing wonderfully healthy things involving drinking a whole lot of spinach. I keep seeing the iron-packed leafy goodness everywhere I look on Instagram and in blogland. (Note to my future 70 year old self: Yes, blogland does exist, and Instagram is the most fun way of capturing anything and everything in life that you think is beautiful. Don't ever stop taking photos.) Even Joy the Baker, who waxes lyrical about the beauty of browned butter and sugar, is whipping up spinach, kiwi and chia seed smoothies. With all of the beautiful green images of food and drink I have been seeing, I cannot help but be a little bit inspired by the idea of filling my body with loads more nutrients every day, just by blitzing up some deliciousness in my blender.

But. I have not got there yet. Even though I felt like I was in a bit of a baking funk, I managed to get out of it before I managed to get my spinach to meet it's match in my blender. The lack of baking inspiration lasted all of a week or two, until I remembered Pinterest.
A while back I was merrily pinning away on Pinterest, and added this image to my tasty treats board. When I needed some baking inspiration, I remembered pinning this particular recipe, and am so glad I did. These cookies are tiny bites of deliciousness, disguised as miniature tarts, but far, far easier to make than tarts. They contain all of the goodness of a regular cookie, with the added extra of crunchy peanut butter, and then a fudgy filling made with my favourite cookie ingredient, condensed milk. Love that stuff. 

So, now that the baking inspiration has returned, I will continue to think about making those green smoothies,   while I mix together the perfect ingredients for baking: butter, sugar and chocolate. And maybe, just maybe, next week will be full of healthy goodness.
Peanut Fudge Puddles
ingredients
130g crunchy peanut butter
130g unsalted butter at room temperature
125g caster sugar
125g light brown sugar
285g plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg

For the fudgy filling
400g condensed milk
300g chocolate chips (either dark or milk, or combination of the two)

1) Cream together the butter and sugars until well mixed.
2) Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
3) Add the peanut butter and mix well.
4) Gradually add the flour and baking powder, mixing to combine after each addition.
5) Chill the cookie dough in the fridge for an hour.
6) Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4, and grease a couple of mini muffin tins.
7) Remove chilled dough from fridge, and place small balls of mixture into the greased muffin tins. (I used a melon baller to get roughly equal amounts, which worked out the perfect quantity.)
8) Bake in preheated oven for 10 mins, or until just turning brown around the edges. Remove from oven, and use the end of a wooden spoon to make indentations in the muffin-cookies - to create holes for the fudgy filling.
9) Leave to cool. Once cool, combine the condensed milk and chocolate in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until melted.
10) While the fudge mix is still molten, fill the cookie cups. I tried two methods - pouring from a jug - which was a little messy, and piping. If I made these again, I would go with piping as the cleanest way of filling the cookie cups.
11) Top with chopped nuts if that takes your fancy, or just eat as they are!

Comments